5.18.2010

inspirations from a friend....


"The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

My friend Michelle sent this quote to me. She probably knows how I'm feeling these days better than anyone, since she was almost in my same shoes last year at this time. If I've realized anything, it's how incredible the people and support systems in my life are. The brick walls that keep arising have been great reminders to me, reinforcements that I am following my heart and being true to my strengths and potential. She even lent me her old "away message" as inspiration:

Someday everything will make perfect sense... For now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself everything happens for a reason.

So, this is my plan. I've always been good at laughing, so these days I'm working on keeping things light and focusing on the joy. My smile is one of the ways that I motivate others and improve my own mood. I know that I have a goal (a future in higher education where I can inspire students, help them improve their futures, and also work to improve the system of higher ed in this country), and I know that I have the capacity to make that goal a reality.

This weekend, Mark and I are heading to Detroit for his friend's wedding. I'm really looking forward to this trip- I love special occasions with Mark, and I'm excited to get dressed up and dance with him, too! Hopefully there will be some great pictures to share next week. Today, I'm working from home (phone calls, emails, and presentation materials are portable!), cleaning, trying to organize and pack, AND waiting for our new glass table-top and NEW MATTRESS to be delivered! It certainly feels adult to be so excited about these purchases, but having a functioning table and a good night's sleep will really improve our day to day lives =)

Now, back to working on the apartment- getting it ready for our deliveries, and some great friends coming to visit next weekend and through the summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment